Domaine de l’Eveche (translated as Domaine of the bishopric) covers 14 hectares (35 acres) and produces several appellations : Mercurey, Bourgogne Côtes Chalonnaise, Crémant de Bourgogne, Coteaux Bourguignon and Bourgogne Aligoté. The majority of the vines planted are Pinot Noir 80% and there is also Chardonnay (15%), Aligoté et gamay (5%). The Joussier family farm, produce and sale entirely their wine, they are self-sufficient. Half of their production is exported to 15 countries in 4 different continents.
The Joussier Family focus on growing fruits of the highest caliber that transcribe their dedication and care (manual labor) for both the vines and their terroirs.
They let the terroirs express their characteristics by vinifying each parcel separately.
The chai was renovated in 2018, with updated modernized thermos regulated stainless steel tank.
Wines that are meant to be aged in wood go through maturing French oak barrel made in Burgundy.
It is their pride to be self-sufficient from the farming to the bottling. They can perfectly control the quality of the product this way.
ENVIRONMENT AND PATRIMONY
The domaine practices a sustainable agriculture. For several generations, the family has been plowing the soil to avoid weed-killers and other chemical agents. They maintain the vegetation, flora and fauna that surrounds the vines. The vines are surrounded by grass. After the pruning, the “sarments” (name of the cut twigs from the vines) are chipped to become natural organic nutriments. They renovate all the medieval stone wall, terraces, stone fountains and dredges the ditches to favor natural irrigation
Their approach benefit the environment while being global and self-sufficient.
The winery was built in the 11th century. It belonged to the church and was fully operated by them. The Joussier family vineyard started early in the 17th Century when their ancestor was gifted the estate by the bishop of the place. In return, they provided for many decades wine to the church. The estate was sold to another family of the village until 1985. Meanwhile, in 1930, Robert Joussier reconnected his family with the wine industry by purchasing a parcel, replanted vines and sold wine in barrels to other maison, négoce and retails. The next generation, Henri, took over in 1950 and was the first to bottle the wine with the 1959 release.
In 1985, Vincent bought back the Domaine de l’Eveche that was turned into a fruit orchard since 1936. He and his father Henry replanted 5 hectares of wines to reset the estate to its original purpose: the wine.
Pinot noir, Chardonnay and a bit of Aligote were replanted. In 1990, the Joussier acquired parcels in Mercurey villages such as “les Ormeaux” and “les Murgers” in 1998.
Quentin, Vincent’s son, started working with his parents in 2018 when the cuverie was undergoing renovation. The family, Quentin, Sylvie, Vincent, operate a 14 hectares estate that is always looking to improve their methods by investing into new equipment, spending the vast majority of their time taking care of the vines and the wines. They are still able to save some time to welcome any passionate wine connoisseur who would venture onto their domaine.